Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Help, I'm pretty sure I won't survive the next layoffs"

Dear Career Coach Patty DeDominic,

I have been in this position for the past 12 years. There is a good chance our site is going to be closed the end of the summer. I thought I would start looking for a new job. Any tips from you would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,   Sue  (name changed to protect candidate confidentiality)


Dear  SUE 
Please be proactive.

Employers have so many choices today. Some are tired and feel harassed, but I see the assertive early birds getting the better opportunities. Stay upbeat, don’t let depression about the job market get you down.   Make looking for a job become a job!

Some people make the most basic and avoidable mistake that snatch job opportunities away from them.
One guy  told his potential employer the job wasn’t quite good enough… can you believe he actually told the interviewer, he would accept an offer of employment but wondered how the employer would feel if he kept looking for another, better job while employed! How to shoot yourself in the foot, huh?


My blog for free career resources is Patty's Free Career Resources blog, resume and search tips


Write if you would like an e version of my new book,  free for the first 100 people who ask for it:
Timely Tips for Job Hunters.      patty@dedominic.com    
Please put Requesting Free ebook in the subject line.     

Thank you and best wishes!

Patty DeDominic
Coach to High Achievers

No comments: