Friday, April 10, 2009

More People Applying for Unemployment Insurance

How can I apply for unemployment insurance?

If you are now out of work you may be eligible for unemployment benefits. This is insurance that your employer probably paid while you were on their payroll. It is paid by all employers in the USA. There are other benefits that may be available to you, including workers compensation or disability payments should you be unable to work or look for work at this time. You pay part of the disability insurance premium while your employer must pay the premiums for Workers Compensation Insurance.

Your State has a ONESTOP which has been set up to help you when you are unemployed and need referrals to jobs, advice, skills classes and other government agencies who may be able to provide temporary living or other assistance to you.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not administer or oversee unemployment insurance (UI) programs. You should contact your State workforce agency for information, using the Department of Labor's Career Onestop Service Locator. This link should enable you to find your nearest One Stop in the USA.

No comments: