“Catch 22” of Performance Reviews
“To earn more in less time and keep the people you really want to Keep”
- How do we both evaluate and motivate?
- If too positive will we contribute to unrealistic compensation or promotional expectations?
- If too negative will we lower morale and productivity?
- How can we keep high potential employees when organizational resources and opportunities are limited?
- The manager may want to coach their employees but also must play the role of judge as it relates to promotions, transfers, layoffs, raises or bonuses.
- They lack a process to communicate, in a timely manner, actions needed to adjust to unforeseen obstacles that interfere with achieving performance expectations within targeted time frames.
- How can performance feedback be effective when it is separated by months from actual event?
- Do they show up only in the most positive light or talk openly and honestly about the
- help they need to achieve their goals?
- What is the best method to communicate with the manager to ensure clarity and fairness while addressing the right organizational goals?
- Will the employees input to goal setting be minimized by the Manager?
- How can the employee be open and trust the manager and the organization when judgment and evaluation seem to be the primary focus?
- Do I want to belong?
- Do they want me?
- What will I gain by joining?
- What will I have to give up?
- Can I trust them?
- Am I willing to commit?